[Csu-usf] Catholics in the news this morning

Seán Kinane skinane at mail.usf.edu
Mon Mar 21 13:49:57 EST 2005

Catholic Bishops Launch Anti-Death Penalty Campaign
The Catholic Church is launching a major new campaign to end the death
penalty here in the United States. Later today, Cardinal Theodore
McCarrick, the Archbishop of Washington, will formally announce the start
of the Catholic Campaign to End the Use of the Death Penalty. The campaign
comes 25 years after American Bishops issued their first major statement
against capitol punishment. Since 1976, 956 people have been executed in
the United States. Meanwhile 119 death row inmates have been exonerated.
Take action:
http://fadp.org/takeact.html

Hunger Strikers Call For Living Wage At Georgetown
And at Georgetown University over 20 students have entered their seventh
day of a hunger strike. They are calling on the university to raise the
minimum wage for campus employees to a living wage of about $15 an hour.
Currently some subcontractors are earning less than $9 an hour. One hunger
striker was briefly hospitalized on Saturday. Four years ago students at
Harvard University successfully secured a living wage for all campus
workers after staging a 19-day sit-in inside the president's office.
Take action:
http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/GeorgetownLivingWage

CARMEN TROTTA from The Catholic Worker: At this point over 1500 young
Americans have not returned from Iraq. Tens of thousands of others have
returned maimed in body and spirit. We remember those dead Americans and
we remember the more than 100,000 Iraqis killed in a criminal slaughter by
this nation in this war. We call for the immediate, unilateral withdrawal
of U.S. forces in the interest of supporting the troops and bringing them
home. At this point we have written, we have marched, we have spoken out,
there is no more room for talking. We come here today to put our bodies in
front of the recruiting center to prevent people from being recruited into
a war to kill and be killed. This day The New York Times in its op-ed
pages maintains the line that we either went to Iraq because of weapons of
mass destruction or to overthrow a dictator. In the op-ed section, no one
seems to be of the opinion that we went to Iraq because Iraq rests upon
the second largest oil reserves in the world. Clearly the war is a
criminal and colonial venture. The media had better start reporting it as
such, instead of reporting the lies that you could see in Technicolor here
any day at Times Square at the recruiting station, in fact the most
trafficked recruiting station in the country. Again, I beg you to remember
the 100,000 dead due to the “Shock and Awe” campaign, the ongoing criminal
and colonial occupation of Iraq. When will the American people seize upon
their own liberties and begin to demand some protection for their children
being sent often times unwillingly to a theater of war in Iraq?
Take action:
http://afsc.org/iraq/default.htm

from democracynow.org

--