[Alis] new course Fall 2009

kmccook at tampabay.rr.com kmccook at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 07:32:28 EST 2009

All, I am offering a new course this fall on " Libraries and Community
Building." The course description is below. I will have a course page up by
March 23 for advising during registration.

LIS 5937. Libraries and Community Building [online]

"Libraries and Community Building" will examine the delivery of library
service with a community building focus. The American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides a new set of policy initiatives from which
to develop service models with a community focus.

This course will reboot thinking about librarianship and community building in
a new era of U.S. domestic policy. The "McCook Model" of involvement of
library workers at every level of public policy formation and with grass roots
groups will be reviewed to understand implementation strategies.
The class will make use of the literature of community organizing to
reconnect librarianship with an activist commitment to engagement.

====
Kathleen de la Peña McCook
Distinguished University Professor of Library and Information Science,
http://shell.cas.usf.edu/~mccook/

========