[Alis] Weekly Brown Bag Program For All SLIS Students!

James Spring jvspring at mail.usf.edu
Tue Feb 24 07:47:07 EST 2009

Come meet your fellow students at the new, casual, and, with very few
exceptions, weekly...Brown Bag Program!

What is it?

The USF SLIS student organizations have organized a weekly lunch/networking
meeting dubbed "Brown Bag" to give the students an opportunity to discuss
current library
topics.  So, bring a lunch and a head full of questions to CIS room 2020.

When?

This week's Brown Bag - Wednesday Feb. 25

Note that the time of *this week's* Brown Bag meeting has been adjusted
slightly. This week, Wednesday 25, we will meet at 12 NOON - 1pm.

Who?

This week we're very happy to welcome Professor Kiersty Cox, an
instructor here at the USF SLIS to discuss preparing for your first
professional job.

Last year Professor Cox presented "Get it Write: Make Your Resume Work
For You!" at the The Florida Library Association annual meeting in St.
Petersburg, Florida. On Wednesday at noon she'll be happy to share her
knowledge about searching, and getting, professional library
positions.

Immediately after our lunch those who stick around will get to see a
job talk presentation by one of the candidates for the current SLIS
faculty position. These talks are a great way to learn about how to
give professional presentations, and are a great way to get some
insight into current research problems in library and information
science. I hope everyone can stick around.

Upcoming brown bags will be held at the regular time of 1pm-2pm every
Wednesday (with minimal exceptions) and include Carolyn Edds, a research
librarian at the
St. Pete Times, on March 4, and on April 8 we'll be visited by Vicki
Zook, an archivist at the St. Pete Times.