[Alis] Helps Librarians Reduce Student Loan Expenses

kmccook at tampabay.rr.com kmccook at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 5 22:12:23 EST 2009

In case you missed this...
====
New Loan Forgiveness Legislation Helps Librarians Reduce
Student Loan Expenses

ALA is pleased to announce that, before leaving for the August
recess, Congress passed the Higher Education Opportunity Act
(H.R. 4137). The President signed the bill into law August 14,
2008.

The bill extends current law Perkins loan forgiveness to additional
categories of borrowers who meet eligibility criteria and work as
librarians, prekindergarten or child care workers, full-time faculty
at tribal colleges or universities, and speech and language
therapists.

Specifically, the language includes service as a librarian with a
master's degree working in:

    * An elementary or secondary school eligible for assistance
under title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act; or
    * A public library serving an area containing an elementary or
secondary school eligible for assistance under title I of the
Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

 The bill authorizes a discretionary loan forgiveness (excluding
consolidation and PLUS loans) of $2,000 a year (up to $10,000)
for service in "areas of national need."  Under this program,
librarians are specifically listed as an "area of national need" as
long as the individual is employed full-time in a high poverty area
for five consecutive years.

Specifically, the individual must work in:

    * A public library that serves a geographic area within which the
public schools have a combined average of 30 percent or more of
their total student enrollments composed of children eligible for
assistance under title I of the Elementary and Secondary
Education Act; or
    * An elementary or secondary school with greater than 30
percent of its students eligible for assistance under title I of the
Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

Several bills dealing with federal student loan forgiveness have
emerged from the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. In
order to make this information as clear as possible, the ALA
Washington Office has created a fact sheet explaining each bill.

For more information on H.R. 4137 visit www.govtrack.us/
congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-4137.